Follow on Twitter
on December 30, 2014 at 12:04 PM, updated December 30, 2014 at 12:06 PM
Who: No. 12 Maryland (12-1) vs. Michigan State (9-4)
When: 5 p.m.
Where: Breslin Center, East Lansing
Radio: Spartan Sports Network, WJIM-AM (1240)/WMMQ-FM (94.9) in Lansing, WJR-AM (760) in Detroit, Sirius XM Ch. 84
Line: Michigan State -6
Twitter: Follow Kyle Austin and Mike Griffith.
Live coverage: Join the MLive conversation at 4:30 p.m.
• The game marks Maryland's first conference men's basketball contest as a member of the Big Ten. The Terrapins had been members of the ACC since 1953, where they won five regular-season conference titles and three tournament titles.
• The Spartans and Terrapins have never met as conference foes, but have met five times total, with Michigan State leading the series 3-2. Tom Izzo has coached four of those, going 2-2, with every game on a neutral court. That includes in the 2003 Sweet 16 and the 2010 NCAA second round, both of which were won by the Spartans. Izzo also faced current Maryland coach Mark Turgeon in 2005 when Turgeon was Wichita State's coach.
• Maryland knows how to get to the line: the Terrapins have attempted 326 free throws, more than 25 per game, a number that's tops in the Big Ten and 14th in the country. They also lead the conference in free throws made. The Spartans, on the other hand, are 13th in the conference in free throw tries and dead last in makes.
• Izzo enters the 2014-15 conference season with 221 wins in Big Ten play. He needs just seven more to tie former Purdue coach Ward Lambert for third on the conference's all-time list.
• Izzo has never lost a Big Ten opener at home a head coach at Michigan State, going 7-0. He is 12-7 overall in conference openers, while Michigan State overall is 30-34 in Big Ten openers. Only three of the Spartans' last 13 conference openers have been at home.
• 5 things to watch: Maryland has a key player back, just like Michigan State does
• Michigan State forward Branden Dawson expected to return from broken wrist against Maryland
• Column: Michigan State may not know where it stands now, but it will soon
• Excuse or not, Tom Izzo says injuries biggest factor in Michigan State's 9-4 non-conference record
© 2014 MLive.com. All rights reserved.